Yara UK have produced a brochure on the Safe Use of Fertilizer on Farm to highlight all of the health and safety issues that arise when using fertilizers on the farm.
Yara UK operates a Product Stewardship programme to ensure that proper care is taken along the whole fertilizer value chain from product development, purchase of raw materials and manufacturing right up to the end delivery and use on the farm. Through this programme Yara UK is fully committed to give proper advice to ensure the health and safety of its stakeholders and customers as well as addressing environmental issues, safe food production and security against theft and misuse.
Yara UK is a founder member of the FIAS (Fertiliser Industry Assurance Scheme), a UK fertilizer industry initiative launched on 09/01/2006 to assure the security and traceability in the industry supply chain. FIAS covers all fertilizers intended for agriculture, horticulture, forestry, amenity and any commercial use – not home garden - and takes a “risk assessment” approach to achieving the necessary level of assurance. The scheme is managed by the AIC (Agricultural Industries Association).
For further information visit the NaCTSO (National Counter Terrorism Security Office) Secure Your Fertiliser Website
In addition, Yara has “The 10 point code” for securing fertilisers
Safe Use of Fertilizers on Farm Brochure
This brochure highlights the safety issues that arise when using fertilizers on the farm and specifically to provide advice on these issues:
- Personal safety when handling fertilizer products
- Good housekeeping practice for inside and outdoor storage
- The need for security when storing fertilizers
- Minimising environmental impact during storage and use
- The importance of reading product labels and supplier Safety Data Sheets
- Updated product labeling information resulting from the introduction of the European Classification, Labeling and Packaging Regs (EC) No.1272/2008
View or download the Safe Use of Fertilizers on Farm Brochure as a PDF (2.8MB).